GIS Video Tutorials
Getting started with GIS at CC
1. Introduction to GIS tutorial series (2:23)
2. Connecting to folder (1:44)
Selecting the features (e.g., counties, tracts, etc.) desired for your data set
3. Selecting data (ie., cases) (10:25) (you may want to watch #4 first)
4. Selecting features based on location (3:58) Updated!
Adding Census (or other) data to your features
5. Downloading and cleaning Census data using Social Explorer and joining to shapefile (preferred method).
6. Downloading and cleaning Census data using American Factfinder (9:46) (a little outdated)
7. Joining Census data to a shapefile (4:26) Updated!
Adding X-Y (lat/long) data to your GIS
9. Displaying X-Y data; geocoding addresses (1:56) Updated!
10. Displaying X-Y data; working with coordinates (11:38)
Inserting data directly into your data set
Visual analysis through formatting
13. Clipping roads (1:24) Updated!
14. Overlaying two shapefiles; using dot density (2:48)
16. Formatting map (completely in GIS; just a bit outdated) (14:11)
Some Stata commands
17. Stata commands (10:56)
This is the Department of Sociology
Browse all Departments & Programs
- Economics and Business
- Environmental Program
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- French and Italian
- Human Biology and Kinesiology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology & Ecology
- Political Science
- Southwest Studies
- Theatre and Dance
- Asian Studies
- Comparative Literature
- East Asian Languages
- Global Health Program
- Race, Ethnicity, and Migration Studies
- Russian and Eurasian Studies