Skip to main content area Skip to sub-navigation
Skip to main content

Taking Major Courses Off-Campus

Physics Department Policy on Taking Major Courses Off-Campus

Physics majors who wish to take one of their major courses off-campus, either domestically or abroad, will need approval of the physics department to count the course towards their major.  Approval is preferably obtained before the course has been taken, but can also be applied for after the course is completed.  Students who do not obtain pre-approval risk not having the course count towards their major.  To apply for approval, students should fill out an “Exception to Degree” form in the physics department office and submit that form together with information about the course.  Information about the course must include a course description and the name and author of the textbook to be used in the course.  More detailed information such as a syllabus will make approval easier to obtain.  The student’s petition will be considered by the department at our next department meeting.  Department meetings are held on the first and third Wednesdays of the block.  The student will be notified by email of the outcome of the petition.