I- Minor in Arabic Language, Literature and Culture: (5 units)
This track allows students to focus on Arabic Language, Literature and Culture. Students who choose to follow this track will be required to take classes offered in the home department. Students may take only one unit outside the home department of the minor.
- A minimum of 3 units of Arabic language at the intermediate level covering AR 201, AR202 & AR304
- Two relevant literature and culture classes at the 300 level.
II- Thematic Minor in Arabic and Islamic Studies: (6 units)
This track allows students of Arabic to study the history, religion, politics and culture of the Arab Islamic world. Students who choose to follow this track will be required to take:
- A minimum of two units of Arabic at the intermediate level AR 201 and higher
- Four units in approved content courses that cover topics related to the Arab and Islamic worlds in two different departments. During the last content course, the student is required to write an integrative experience paper.
- The current possible list of courses for this track is listed below. However, the list below will be reviewed and updated on yearly basis.
Art History: AR 201 Islamic Art
History: HY 104 The Mediterranean; HY133 Civilization in the Middle East; HY200 The search for Islamic order; HY200 Islamic Cities; HY200 Freedom and Authority in Everyday Life: Women, Men, and Children in the Middle East; HY 200; Imagining Jordan: Myth, History and Identity.
Political Science: PS313 Comparative Politics of the Middle East and North Africa; PS 314 International Politics of the Middle East and North Africa; PS 203 Topics in Politics: Israelis and Palestinians; PS 200 The Search for Islamic Order.
Mediterranean and Francophone Studies: AR 320 Topics in Arabic Literature and Culture.
This is the Department of French and Italian
Browse all Departments & Programs
- Economics and Business
- Environmental Program
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- French, Italian, and Arabic
- Human Biology and Kinesiology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology & Ecology
- Political Science
- Southwest Studies
- Theatre and Dance
- Asian Studies
- Comparative Literature
- The Departmental Major/International Affairs Option
- East Asian Languages
- Global Health Program
- Race, Ethnicity, and Migration Studies
- Russian and Eurasian Studies
- Southwest Studies