I WANT TO…….
DECLARE MY MAJOR OR CHANGE MY MAJOR
- If you visit the department and are interested in declaring a single major fill out the form “Declaration of Major”. Go to step 3.
- If you are declaring a double major you will need to fill out the form “Declaration of Double Major”. Go to step 3.
- Fill out the department form for the specific major you are declaring (links below). Fill out this form in addition to the declaration form in step 1 or 2:
- You will need an academic adviser in the Economics and Business Department, so if you need to change or add an adviser ask one of the Economics & Business faculty members to be your adviser and have them sign your Declaration of Major form.
- If you need assistance finding an adviser you can ask one of the department admin. assistants in Palmer 114, or the paraprof in Palmer 118, for recommendations.
- Once your department adviser has signed your Declaration of Major form, bring all of the required forms to the department administrative assistant to request support for obtaining the Dept. Chair's signature for your paperwork.
- Have your picture taken for the Hall of Fame (ask the department Paraprof in Palmer 118). You look great!
GET MY PICTURE (RE)TAKEN FOR THE HALL OF FAME
- The paraprof in Palmer 118 will take your picture to post in our Hall of Fame.
CHANGE ACADEMIC ADVISERS IN THE DEPARTMENT
- You can ask any faculty to be your adviser, and you can change advisers as well - it happens that you realize another faculty member may be a better fit. Believe us when we say it's fine to request a change. The faculty will support your decision! To officially change your adviser (from one you have previously selected, not the one you were given as a new student) you must complete the change of adviser form. To complete this form you must obtain signatures from both your previously selected adviser *and* your newly chosen adviser, make a copy for the dept. administrative asst., and take the form to the registrar.
- If you haven’t declared your major now is the time to do it. We are unable to approve classes toward your major if you are undeclared.
- Get approval from the International Study Office in Armstrong Hall, 2nd Floor, west end.
- Set up a SUMMIT account:
- Research courses you would like to count toward your major (ECON/ME/IPE).
- Get a full syllabus of the proposed courses and rationale why you want to take this specific course at this location.
- Complete application in SUMMIT which is sent to the Department Chair for approval.
SEE IF MY CREDITS TRANSFER TO MY MAJOR
(AP/IB/TRANSFER FROM ANOTHER COLLEGE)
- Contact the Registrar’s Office to make sure the class(es) are on your transcript
- If you want a transferred class to count toward your major or as a prerequisite for another course in the Economics and Business Department you will need to get a full syllabus of the class in question and send it electronically to the Chair of the Department requesting acceptance of the course for the major. If it's a math course in question, the Math Department Chair must approve the course. Once the Chair approves the course, print two copies of the approval (probably an email exchange) and ask the department administrative assistant to place a copy in your department file, *and* ask the Registrar's Office to place a copy in your student file there.
WRITE A THESIS
- Only declared majors that have completed the prerequisites for thesis can sign up for thesis.Thesis is required for Economics and Mathematical Economics majors.
- Attend Thesis meetings prior to senior year. Look for invitations each February.
- Fill out a thesis preference form. This form can be obtained from the Economics and Business Department Administrative Assistants in spring semester of Junior year - all junior, declared majors will receive a request via email to complete the form via Qualtrics.
- Once the admin. assistants have received your preferences they will confirm with you your assigned thesis blocks and thesis adviser (different from your academic adviser) for your senior year.
- When completing a class schedule for Senior year, leave the assigned thesis blocks blank so the Registrar’s Office can place thesis blocks there.This may take several months, so be patient with that process. Contact the Registrar with questions if the blocks are not assigned before the 2nd thesis block.
- Students should schedule meetings with thesis advisers beginning the first day of the first thesis block.
CHANGE MY THESIS BLOCKS
- Check with your thesis adviser if you can change blocks.
- After you receive approval from your thesis adviser, and if you have a class scheduled in the block you want to change thesis to, complete and turn in to the Registrar's Office an add/drop slip to drop the conflicting class so the change to your thesis block can be made.
- Ask the Economics and Business Department administrative assistant to make the changes to your thesis block and confirm changes with the Registrar's Office.
TALK TO THE CHAIR OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Email the Dept. Chair asking for an appointment. Be specific and let the Chair know what you want to discuss.
- If you cannot reach the Chair of the Department ask the office staff to assist in setting an appointment for you and/or ask to speak with the Associate Chair of the department.
- Office hours may be posted on the faculty office door, so be sure to check there for times when the Chair may be in the office and available to meet.
WHEN IS THE NEXT...:
- Investment Club Meeting: 1st three Tuesdays of each Block at 12:15pm (I-Club does not meet in the 4th week of the Block).
- Women in Business Club Meeting: 2nd Monday of each Block at 12:15pm
- Senior Research Symposium: The first Thursday of Block 8 - April 23, 2020 2-5pm in Palmer Hall Classrooms.
APPLY FOR A SKILLING AWARD (SPRING OR FALL)
- The opportunity to apply for the $500.00 Skilling Award is offered on a rolling basis throughout the academic year. Visit the Skilling Award page for full details
- Students presented with a Skilling Award will present research projects during the Senior Research Symposium in the spring semester prior to leaving campus and/or graduating.
TELL US WHAT I’M DOING NOW
DONATE TO THE DEPARTMENT
- Send an email to the Chair of the Economics & Business Department, who will be glad to help you!
This is the Department of Economics & Business
Browse all Departments & Programs
- Economics and Business
- Environmental Program
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- French and Italian
- Human Biology and Kinesiology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology & Ecology
- Political Science
- Southwest Studies
- Theatre and Dance
- Asian Studies
- Comparative Literature
- East Asian Languages
- Global Health Program
- Race, Ethnicity, and Migration Studies
- Russian and Eurasian Studies