I WANT TO…….
DECLARE MY MAJOR OR CHANGE MY MAJOR
- If you visit the department and are interested in declaring a single major fill out the form “Declaration of Major”. Go to step 3.
- If you are declaring a double major you will need to fill out the form “Declaration of Double Major”. Go to step 3.
- Fill out the department form for the specific major you are declaring (links below). Fill out this form in addition to the declaration form in step 1 or 2:
- You will need an academic adviser in the Economics and Business Department, so if you need to change or add an adviser fill out the purple “Change of Adviser” form.
- If you need assistance finding an adviser you can ask one of the department secretaries or the paraprof in the economics lab for recommendations.
- Bring all of the required forms to the department secretary to get signatures from the Chair.
- Have your picture taken for the Hall of Fame. You look great!
GET MY PICTURE (RE)TAKEN FOR THE HALL OF FAME
- The paraprof in the Econ/Bus Dept computer lab will take your picture to post in our Hall of Fame.
FIND AN ACADEMIC ADVISOR IN THE DEPARTMENT
- You can ask any faculty to be your advisor, or find out from the office staff who would be a good fit for you and who doesn’t already have too many advisees. To officially change your advisor you must complete the change of advisor form. To complete this form you must obtain signatures from both your current advisor and your new advisor and take it to the registrar.
- If you haven’t declared your major now is the time to do it. We can’t approve classes toward your major if you are undeclared.
- Get approval from the International Study Office –Gill House
- Set up a SUMMIT account:
- Research courses you would like to count toward your major (ECON/ME/IPE).
- Get a full syllabus of the proposed courses and rationale why you want to take this specific course at this location.
- Complete application in SUMMIT which is sent to the Department Chair for approval.
SEE IF MY CREDITS TRANSFER TO MY MAJOR
(AP/IB/TRANSFER FROM ANOTHER COLLEGE)
- Contact the Registrar’s Office to make sure the class(es) are on your transcript
- If you want a transferred class to count toward your major or as a prerequisite for another course in the Economics and Business Department you will need to get a full syllabus of the class in question and send it electronically to the Chair of the Department requesting acceptance of the course for the major. If the Chair approves the course a copy of the request will be placed in the student file that is kept in the Economics and Business Department.
WRITE A THESIS
- Only declared majors that have completed the prerequisites for thesis can sign up for thesis. Thesis is required for Economics and Mathematical Economics majors.
- Fill out a thesis preference form. This form can be obtained from the Economics and Business Department secretaries in block 7 of your Junior year.
- Submit the thesis preference form by the deadline in block 7 to be assigned a thesis advisor and thesis blocks during your senior year.
- When you complete your class schedule for your Senior year, leave the assigned thesis blocks blank so the Registrar’s Office can create thesis blocks in your schedule. This may take several months, contact the Registrar with questions if the blocks are not assigned before your 2nd thesis block.
- Meet with your thesis advisor on the first day of your first block of thesis
CHANGE MY THESIS BLOCKS
- Check with your thesis advisor if you can change blocks
- After you receive approval from your thesis advisor, and if you have a class scheduled in the block you want to change thesis to, drop the conflicting class so the change to your thesis block can be made.
- Ask the Economics and Business Department Office Coordinator to make the changes to your thesis blocks. The Office Coordinator will contact the Registrar with this change information.
TALK TO THE CHAIR OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Send an email to the chair asking for an appointment. Be specific and let them know what you want to discuss.
- If you can’t reach the Chair of the Department ask the office staff to assist in setting an appointment for you.
- Many time office hours are posted on the faculty office door. Check for times when you can find the faculty in their office and available.
WHEN IS THE NEXT MEETING FOR THE:
- Student Advisory Board (SAB): 2nd Thursday of every Block
- Investment Club: First Tuesday of every Block
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Ask the office staff for information about club meetings
APPLY FOR A SKILLING GRANT (SPRING OR FALL)
- The Skilling Grant is offered in blocks 3 and 7. You will need to develop a specific request and find a faculty sponsor in the Economics and Business Department.
- You will need to present your project in the department Seminar Series in block 7 before you graduate and/or leave campus.
TELL US WHAT I’M DOING NOW
- Send an email to: email@example.com; join us on facebook.
DONATE TO THE DEPARTMENT
- Send an email to the chair of the department, they will be glad to help you!
This is the Department of Economics & Business
Browse all Departments & Programs