- Expression of emotions
- Stress management
- Balance between interdependency and independence
The Wellness Resourc Center will be offering Mental Health First Aid Courses periodically throughout the semester. The next Mental Health First Aid Course will be taught October 23 and 24. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or to sign up.
Mental Health First Aid is an extension of the concept of first aid in which members of a community are taught how to respond in a mental health emergency and to offer support to someone who appears to be in emotional distress. This Mental Health First Aid course is an interactive program which introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental health problems, builds an understanding of their impact and overviews common treatments. Participants will learn:
- The potential risk factors and warning signs for a range of mental health problems, including: depression, anxiety/trauma, psychosis, eating disorders, substance use disorders, and self-injury.
- An understanding of the prevalence of various mental health disorders in the U.S. and the need for reduced stigma in their communities.
- The evidence-based professional, peer, social and self-help resources available to someone with a mental health problem.
- A 5-step action plan encompassing the skills, resources and knowledge to assess the situation, select and implement appropriate interventions and help an individual in crisis connect with appropriate professional care.