Some of the region’s most active outdoor recreationalists, Utah voters want to protect and retain public lands.
Utah's Connection to Conservation:
- Two-thirds (60%) of Utah voters say they are conservationists. Majorities of Republicans, Independents, and Democrats all share this self description.
- Voters in Utah are some of the most active in the outdoors – the most apt to hike regularly of any state (66% - and the same number are regular campers). Fully 91% engage in at least one outdoor recreation activity on a regular basis, and half (50%) engage in three or more activities in the outdoors regularly.
- Forty-four percent (44%) of Utah voters are hunters or anglers.
- The vast majority (81%) of voters in the state intend to visit a national park sometime in 2013.
- Utah voters spend a lot of time enjoying the natural beauty of their state, but they still worry that children in the state do NOT spend enough time outdoors. Fully 82% of voters in the state view children not spending enough time outside as a serious problem.
View more 2013 State Reports: