Ping Pong Tournament
Rules of the Game
- An official team shall consist of one player for singles play and two for doubles play.
- A match will consist of the best of three games. Each game is won by the player who first scores 21 points and wins by at least two points.
- A random choosing (e.g. rock-paper-scissors), paddle spin or a coin toss will determine which player will have the choice of ends and the right to be server or receiver in the first game.The other player will then take the remaining choice. After each game, the players will alternate ends and service.
- After five points, the receiver shall become the server, and the server the receiver and so on after each five points until the end of the game or the score is 20-all. In this case, the service shall change after each point until one player wins by 2 points.
- The ball shall be placed on the palm of the free hand. The server must bounce the ball on their side of the table and then hit it with the paddle. The ball must bounce once on the server's side of the table and once on the opponent's side. Volleys are not permitted.
- The serve must be delivered from alternating sides of the center line and must always be delivered diagonally.
- The server cannot use his/her body or clothing to obstruct the sight of the ball.
- If the serve touches the net but proceeds over the net onto the opponent's side of the table, it is considered a "let". The server will then receive one more attempt to serve. If the server serves two consecutive "let" serves, the service is lost and the opponent gets to serve next.
- If the serve touches the net and lands on the floor, the service is lost and the opponent gets to serve next.
- If the serve goes into the net, the service is lost and the opponent gets to serve next.
In doubles, all the rules of singles play apply except for the following:
- Players must take their turns serving. The pair who has the right to serve the first five serves in any game shall decide which partner shall do so. The next time it is the same team's turn to serve, the other plaer will be the one to serve.
- Balls may be hit by either partner at will, in any order.