All regular soccer rules apply, the following are specific to intramural soccer at Colorado College.
Rules of the Game
- The playing field for each team will consist of five (5) field players and one (1) goalkeeper.
- The game will consist of two (2) twenty (20) minute halves. Halftime is limited to no longer than 10 minutes. There is NO overtime in the case of a tie during the regular season. The last 2 minutes of every second half will be a stop-clock.
- There is NO offsides rule.
- Substitutions may only take place on the end line during goalkicks, corner kicks, throw-ins, and for injured players. On injuries, both teams have the option of substituting players.
- All penalties result in indirect kicks. Regular soccer rules apply for indirect kicks - the defender must be at least 3 full strides away from the offensive kicker.
- Red carded players will be removed from the present game and required to sit out two (2) additional games thereafter.
- In order for the ball to be considered out of play, the whole ball must go across the side line or goal line either on the ground or in the air. The position of the player's feet has no bearing on whether the ball is considered out of bounds.
- The whole ball must cross the goal between the posts for a goal to be scored.
- The goalie may not punt the ball in the air over the midfield line. The penalty is an indirect kick for the other team at the midfield line. Goalkeepers are allowed to throw the ball over the half line, however.
- Goalkeepers may pick up the ball if the ball is thrown into them, or if it is played off the head or chest of a teammate. They may not pick up a ball played to them off of one of their teammates' feet, however.
- If a team fails to report to the scheduled place within 10 minutes after the scheduled time for a contest, a forfeit will be declared. If both teams fail to arrive, both will be charged with a forfeit. To obtain a contest victory by forfeit, enough players must be present to constitute a full playing field.
- All co-ed teams must have two members of the under-represented sex on the field at all times. A team may start and play with one member of the under-represented sex but must play a man-down until the second person of the under-represented sex arrives at the game. Failure to observe these guidelines will result in a forfeit by the offending team.
- Any player who curses directly at a referee will be ejected from the game.
- Slide-tackling is strictly prohibited for all field players and the goalie.
- All of the above rules apply for playoff games EXCEPT for the following:
- In the case of a tie after regulation play, there will be one ten (10) minute, sudden-death overtime.
- In the case of a tie after the sudden death overtime play, there will be a shootout until a winner is established. The shootout will be a 5 second breakaway from the midline with one shot per player. Players on the field at the end of overtime will be the 1st players to participate in the shootout, followed by the bench players.