Sustainabile Computing Procedures
The following are procedures relate to the Sustainable Computing policy (note that this link will point to the policies website once it is available).
Purchasing and Support
- Devices purchased through capital equipment are requested each Fall. The capital equipment committee discusses and puts forth a budget for board approval. Once approved, communication goes out to the requestors and ITS centrally purchases the devices and deploys them.
- When a new computer is deployed, the old computer comes back to ITS for deployment elsewhere as a cascade or to be responsibly disposed of. Priority will be given to cascading the computer within the same department if there is a good home.
- Anyone wishing to purchase a computer from a funding source other than capital equipment (department operating, research, etc.) must consult with the IT Business Coordinator before making the purchase to ensure it meets appropriate standards
Electronics Recycling Day
ITS hosts an electronics recycling day on the second Tuesday of every block (and as needed over the summer). They are also announced on the digest, and are open to anyone bringing personal electronic items to be recycled (old TVs, monitors, toasters, etc.) This service is free with the exception of the old, large, CRT monitors or TVs, for which we charge $10 (the recycling company charges us for these). Just bring your items in during the morning of recycling day and leave them on the Barnes loading dock – the recycling trucks usually comes just after lunch.
- Colorado College uses power management software to make sure energy savings settings are properly set up on each computer.
- If you would like an exception to the standard policy, the Help Desk can assist in creating a specific power policy to fit your needs.