The following are guidelines internal to the ITS: division. The intent is to clarify purchasing procedures, specifically who should purchase which kinds of things, while assuring we satisfy auditors by having approver and purchaser as separate people from each other and from the person benefitting from the purchase. Please note that there may be exceptions – this document outlines the norms. If you have any questions, ask one of the directors.
See also: P-card reconciliation procedures
Non-capital items (the “small stuff”)
Most items that we purchase or pay for out of our operating budget should be directly purchased either by the
person asking or by the appropriate director for that department, after attaining approval.
- Ex. A Help Desk Analyst would like to order 3 spare hard drives to replenish the stock of spares. She should contact the Director of User Services asking for approval. Upon obtaining approval, she should place the order with her Purchasing Card and reconcile the charge to the appropriate budget code.
- Other examples:
- Miscellaneous expenses like coffee, office supplies, refreshments for an event, etc.
- Professional development expenses like registration for classes / conferences, flight, hotel, mileage reimbursements (turn them in to the director of your team), etc.
- Maintenance / computer peripheral expenses like monitors, mice, keyboards, miscellaneousn parts orders, contractor work, etc.
Capital equipment (the “bigger stuff”)
Capital equipment (which is hard to define exactly, but usually comes from something other than our operating
budget and needs to be inventoried) have specific contact points to coordinate purchasing:
- Standard PC computers
- Deployment and Inventory Specialist (Tulio Wolford)
- Macintosh and non-standard computers (including tablets)
- Macintosh and Alternate Systems Specialist (Gerald Mondragon)
- Printers / Copiers
- Help Desk Manager (David White)
- Audio Visual equipment
- Director of Media Services (Randy Babb)
- Servers / Network Storage / Network Electronics
- Director of Network and Systems Services (Rossie Trujillo)
- Annual contracts with vendors
- IT Business Coordinator (Linda Petro)
Ship all items to a college address; do not ship items to a private residence.