Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to sub-navigation
Adam Freierman - The Sun Sets on the Andaman Vert

Health and Safety

As part of off-campus study, it is important that students be proactive in preparing for taking care of their health and safety prior, during, and after their journey. Planning for health and safety is just as important as choosing the program best fit for your needs and interests. Students will receive predeparture information from their program, and can obtain additional information about their destination from the Students Abroad website. Please read this information carefully, and take time to learn about political situations, living conditions, medication restrictions and disability accommodations, and any other health and safety issues relevant to your host country.

As you prepare to leave campus, we hope that you will also consider the potential emotional stress of off-campus study. This experience can be a very powerful and positive developmental time that may ultimately lead to increased levels of self-awareness. However, the life changes associated with off-campus study can also be stressful and confusing, and may potentially exacerbate existing physical and emotional conditions. If you have any concerns, it is very important that you meet with the staff at Boettcher Health Center or other health care provider to discuss how off-campus study could affect your situation. Addressing your health issues prior to studying off campus will help you identify those resources that will and will not be available at your program site.

Health Insurance Off-Campus

All students studying off-campus must have health insurance that covers them for the duration of their program, and all students studying off-campus, whether domestic or internationally, should take time to familiarize themselves with coverage limits and how to access health care while out of their standard coverage area. It is very important that you understand HOW your insurance coverage works while you are off-campus, WHAT types of illness and emergency care your insurance covers, and WHERE you will go to receive your health care.

First, check with your current health insurance company about the extent of your coverage, especially if you will be outside of the United States. If you are currently covered by your parents' plan, pay special attention to restrictions that may apply to overseas travel, whether your insurance applies during independent travel or vacation before/after the official dates of your program, what countries it includes, and whether you will have to pay first for treatment and be reimbursed later by your insurance company.

Many programs also include supplemental insurance as part of their program fee and have pre-planned insurance arrangements for their participants. Purchasing their insurance may make it easier for the program staff to assist you while off-campus, and many are quite comprehensive. However, you should still look closely at the limitations in its coverage. Also, if the program does not offer insurance, and/or you think the program insurance is not sufficient, you should consider purchasing additional coverage.

If your present insurance seems insufficient for your needs, you might want to consider purchasing supplemental coverage. The International Student ID Card (ISIC) provides additional insurance options, and is available for purchase for a modest cost (either $22 or $70, depending on the level of insurance desired) through the CC Office of International Programs in the Gill House. You may also wish to read the U.S. State Department’s additional recommendations for health insurance abroad.  

International SOS

Colorado College has contracted with a company called International SOS (SOS) to provide worldwide assistance and emergency evacuation services for off-campus study participants. The services provided by SOS range from telephone advice and referrals to evacuation by private air ambulance. Colorado College students also have access to country-specific information on the SOS website, including recommended vaccinations, weather and road conditions, telephone and voltage information, and more. It is important to understand that although International SOS will offer students travel and medical advice and services, as well as cover the costs of medical evacuation and repatriation, International SOS is NOT travel or medical insurance. If you visit a doctor's office or have to be admitted to a hospital, International SOS will not cover these services.

Students participating in Colorado-College-led programs, such as blocks abroad, summer blocks abroad, or CC semesters abroad and exchanges are covered automatically by International SOS.  Students participating in an approved/ACM program may be covered through International SOS, or your program may provide comparable emergency insurance. Make sure to inquire with the International Programs Office to see if you are covered by International SOS for your semester program.

Contacting Colorado College In An Emergency

If you need to reach us in an emergency, please call (719) 227-8282. This line will be answered between 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. MST, Monday through Friday. For emergencies that occur outside of normal operating hours, call campus security at (719) 389-6707. The dispatcher will notify the administrator on call of any emergency situation.