Supervisor Instructions for Preparing the Annual Staff Evaluations
Instructions to Supervisors
- Using the form sent to you by your staff, complete all assessment areas. The Supervisor section need only be completed for those staff with supervisory responsibilities.
- Seek feedback from colleagues that the staff person has listed on his/her self-review. You can do this via phone or email. You are expected to consider this feedback in your overall assessment of performance.
- Determine the overall performance rating for the staff person using the ratings described below. Discuss any rating of Exceptional Performance with your Cabinet member prior to meeting with your staff.
- Save the evaluation form as a PDF document.
- Meet with the staff person to discuss his/her performance and to establish goals for the coming year. Following this meeting and based on the conversation you have with your staff, you may make adjustments to the evaluation before submitting the form to HR.
- Review the staff person’s job description. If there are changes made, send an updated version of the job description to HR along with comments about what changes were made and rationale for those changes.
- Sign and date the evaluation form and ensure that the staff person receives a copy. Retain a copy for your files. Forward the form to Human Resources.
Description of Overall Performance Ratings
- Successful accomplishment of goals beyond expectations.
- High levels of proficiency in all core and job specific competencies.
- Initiative to accept more responsibility to advance the department, division, and college goals.
- Anticipating needs of the department, responding proactively, and being intentional providing support to others.
- Consistent significant contributions resulting in positive changes and improvements for the department, division, and college.
- Successful accomplishment of all goals in a quality manner.
- Successful level of proficiency in all core and job specific competencies.
- Visible contributions to the department, division, and college.
- Consistent achievement of all requirements of the position.
- Responsiveness to feedback and willingness to incorporate the feedback for successful outcomes.
Performance Needs Improvement
- Minimal accomplishment of goals and minimal level of proficiency related to core and job specific competencies as a result of factors within the employee’s control.
- Key areas of responsibility require improvement.
- Minimal consistent contributions to the department, division, or college in spite of efforts or corrective feedback.
- Likelihood that performance can improve with focused effort and a structured plan.
** This rating is an indicator to implement a performance improvement plan.
- Failure to meet the majority of goals and duties of the position in spite of corrective feedback and/or best efforts.
- Lack of successful accomplishments in most areas of core and job specific competencies.
- Lack of consistent contributions to the mission of the department, division, and college.
- Resistance to corrective feedback to improve performance.
** This rating suggests ending employment.