Colorado College recognizes that as a result of disability, some students may be unable to satisfy specific course work requirements for degree completion. Therefore, qualified students with disabilities may request that appropriate course substitutions be considered.
The Disability Services (DS) staff, in conjunction with the office of the Dean, the office of the Registrar, and appropriate faculty and staff, will review such requests on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility and to reasonably accommodate qualified students with alternative course work that will satisfactorily fulfill the appropriate degree requirement.
Students should follow the steps below to request a course substitution:
- Complete the Request for Course Substitution Form.
- Provide DS with complete and current documentation of disability. The documentation must include verification of disability, evidence of a disability-related need for the substitution, and justification for regarding the request as reasonable. Please refer to the DS documentation guidelines.
- Provide DS with a history of any previous attempts to complete the course work in question, including high school and/or college transcripts as appropriate.
- Meet with a member of the DS staff to discuss the request and review the documentation.
Note: It is the student’s responsibility to meet with his/her advisor(s) to determine the impact of a course substitution on the student's program of study. The substitution should not substantially alter an essential element of the student’s program of study, including requirements for majors and minors.
Once DS has received the student’s request, the following actions will be taken:
- DS will review the student’s request. The office of the Dean, the office of the Registrar, and appropriate College faculty and staff may be consulted.
- DS will provide notification of the student’s request, verification of disability, and recommendations regarding the request to the office of the Dean.
- The office of the Dean will notify the student of the decision to grant or deny the request. Copies of the written notification will be retained in the offices of the Dean, Registrar, and DS.
If the student’s request for a course substitution is denied, the student may request a review by the office of the Dean.
For additional information on course substitutions or other accommodations and services, please contact Disability Services.