Support for Chairs
• Chair's Conferences and Workshops: a number of conferences and workshops on department chairing and academic administration are listed below. If any Colorado College department chairs or program directors are interested in attending any one of these conferences during their tenure as chair, they may contact Karen Ferguson, Dean's Office, ext. 6681.
• Books for New Chairs: the Dean's Office will purchase a guide to chairing for new chairs and program directors, either in the spring semester before the chair's appointment or in the first fall semester of the new chair's appointment; a few good books are noted in the new chairs' workshop overview; new chairs are also welcome to identify their own selection.
Workshops: All Colorado College Academic Department Chairs and Program Directors may request to attend any one of the workshops and conferences listed below (or any other they identify); contact the Office of the Dean for permission and assistance with registration, travel arrangements and funding.
• ACE Workshops for Division and Department Chairs and Deans
• Council of Independent Colleges: Workshops for Department and Division Chairs
• Academic Chairperson's Conference, sponsored by Kansas State University.
• The Association of Departments of Foreign Languages and the Association of Departments of English offer annual summer seminars for department chairs.
Organizational websites, university websites, and papers:
• The American Association of University Professors
• Good Practice in Tenure Evaluation: Advice for Tenured Faculty, Department Chairs, and Academic Administrators, a joint publication of ACE, AAUP and United Educators
• AAHE Principles of Good Practice: Supporting Early-Career Faculty
• AAHE Forum on Faculty Roles & Rewards
• Center for Research on Teaching and Learning, University of Michigan; see especially the "Resources" page
• Faculty Mentoring: Articles for Deans and Department Chairs
• Mentoring New Faculty: Advice for Department Chairs, Marjorie Olmstead