Become a Tutor
- Growing content expertise in 1 or more scientific/mathematic disciplines,
- Ability and willingness to take on QRC roles as individual tutor, Learning Assistant, and workshop or review session leader, and
- Ability to listen and support learning by Colorado College peers in quantitative courses.
Next Round of QRC Hiring Begins December, 2013
- Applications due by January 6, 2014 (first day of half-block).
- Student interviews and tutor selection in block 5.
- Tutor training and QRC apprenticeship in block 6.
Some Important Details
1. All accomplished math/science students are encouraged to inquire about QRC employment. The QRC maintains a staff of about 25 peer tutors during the academic year.
2. Students who seek QRC employment need to complete and submit the QRC Employment Application Form, and then complete an interview, tutor training, and paid tutoring apprenticeship.
3. QRC tutors are hired according to the need for a range of expertise in the QRC. While tutors may be hired during the year, most of the fall tutors will be hired in block 6.
4. Once hired as a QRC tutor, tutors must attend a mandatory “Tutor Training” session, which includes a brief apprenticeship period in the QRC.
5. Students must have I-9 & W-4 forms on record with Human Resources in order to be employed on campus. If you have held previous jobs on campus, your paperwork should be in place. For peer tutors serving as Learning Assistants or Individual Tutors, they will fill out a brief data sheet (2-3 minutes) on their main responsibilities when in that role.
6. Students do not need to be Work Study eligible to be employed in the QRC, since expertise is required for this position. QRC tutors are among the highest paid student employees on campus.
7. For more information, contact the Director of the QRC by phone (227-8289), email (Steve.Getty@coloradocollege.edu), or visiting Rooms 167-168 in the Learning Commons at Tutt Library.
To Apply, click here
Tutor Application Form
Please fill out the form using the survey link below. When you submit your form, the answers are final. Refer to tutor application fields below, but you must enter final answers in the survey link below.
Tutor Application Fields
1.Top of Form
Expected Graduation Date:
Major Discipline of Study
Minor Discipline of Study (if applicable)
1. Why do you want to be a tutor in the QRC? (Limit responses to 500 characters.)
2. Do you have any experience teaching, working as a tutor, or serving in a leadership role? Please describe. (Limit responses to 500 characters.)
3. List all Math, Science, and Economics courses taken to date with professor and grade received
4. List all Math, Science, and Economics courses you expect to take in the year following this application (including statistics, or other applicable courses)
5. List software you feel confident working with (e.g., Excel, Minitab, SPSS, STATA, Java, Mathematica, etc.)
6. Please list two faculty members as references who will recommend you.
7. I understand that I will be expected to participate in mandatory tutor training at the beginning of block 6 and will not be eligible for hire unless I have completed this training.
Yes, I understand.
No, I do not choose to participate in mandatory tutor training.