Learning Assistant Info
- Learning Assistants are assigned in three ways;
- Faculty request a LA for a course/block using the application on the QRC website.
- The need for a LA in a course is identified by the QRC director.
- The director will look for a qualified tutor on staff. If we do not have a tutor on staff, we may hire someone not currently employed by the QRC but recommended by the faculty.
- Learning Assistants serve a single course for the duration of the course (normally one or two blocks). There are cases where two students have successfully shared a LA position.
- The LA works closely with the faculty member to perform duties that are coordinated with class scheduling. Duties commonly performed by a LA:
- Problem sessions (afternoon and/or evenings)
- Help with lab and write-ups
- Help with presentations (including pre-screening)
- Help with software usage (such as Minitab, Mathematica, SPSS, Excel, etc.)
- Work individually with students that faculty feel need extra input and feedback.
- It is important that the LA is introduced to the class by the faculty member so that students see the LA as a legitimate component of the course. This should be done at the beginning of the block as soon as possible. The best case scenario is to have the LA activities incorporated into the course syllabus prior to the start of the course.
- The LA may work up to 30 hours per block but will be paid hourly.
- For employment the LA needs to submit I-9 & W-4 forms with Human Resources in Spencer Center (across from Wooglin’s Deli) and complete a Student Employment Form from Financial Aid in Cutler Hall. Sign the Employment Form and drop it off at the QRC director’s office so that budget codes can be added. If you have worked on campus already then the I-9 & W-4 forms have been done already.
- The LA is required to attend a training meeting during the first week of the block.
- LAs will be responsible for keeping track of their work and the students with whom they have worked.
Director of the Colket Center for Academic Excellence
Learning Commons at Tutt Library
The Colorado College
14 E. Cache La Poudre
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3294