New Student Orientation
Welcome, New CC Students!
Below is a schedule outlining New Student Orientation (NSO). However, to access full information on NSO, including forms that need to be filled out and returned, you will later be directed to our website - currently under construction - called “CC Bound.” We will let you know about “CC Bound” in three ways:
- The “CC Bound” site will be up and running by June 1 and we’ll include that link on this page, so check back here. You should review the information on “CC Bound” on a regular basis prior to your arrival on campus. Several materials will require your prompt attention and reply.
- Information on accessing “CC Bound” (along with Colorado College e-mail account information and necessary passwords) will also be sent via snail mail to all incoming students enclosed with a copy of the NSO common reading, a book entitled The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Look for yours in the mail early to mid-June.
- Also check your current e-mail account starting June 4 as we’ll try to contact you that way as well with this same information.
Remember to contact Campus Activities or 719-389-6800 for all of your NSO questions.
Colorado College New Student Orientation 2013 Schedule
Updated May 3, 2013
*Please note – This schedule is a draft and is subject to changes.
All students and parents will receive the final schedule upon arrival to campus.
(S) Students only
(P) Parents only
(S+P) Students and Parents welcome
All bold items are required student events
Friday, August 23
(S+P) 10:00am-2:00pm Early Move-In (assigned residence halls) Early Move-In into Residence Halls will be offered on a limited basis. Please follow these instructions:
- Request early move-in: You must contact Campus Activities at 719-389-6800 or CampusActivities@ColoradoCollege.edu to request early move-in.
- Preliminary sign-ups are being taken now, even though housing assignments will not be made until late July or early August.
- Contact us again when you receive your housing assignment: When you receive your housing assignment in late July or early August, you must contact Campus Activities again with that information so that you can be confirmed for early move-in.
- Wait for confirmation: You will not be approved for early move-in until you have received a confirmation from Campus Activities and you will receive that confirmation within 24 hours of your request. We will call you or send you an e-mail.
- Please contact Campus Activities directly for early move-in, NOT Residential Life and Housing.
- You will not be able to check in before 10 AM.
- Between the hours of 10 AM – 2 PM, we are pleased to offer free assistance from our move-in teams.
- Because of the limited number of early move-in slots available, this is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
(S+P) 10:00am-3:00pm Package Shuttle Service (Worner Campus Center, Mailroom, Lower Level) We’ll help you get your large packages from the mailroom to your dorm room
(S+P) 10:00am-9:00pm Get Your Gold Card (Student ID) (Worner Desk)
Saturday, August 24
(S+P) 8:00am-2:00pm Residence Halls Open for Move-In
(P) 8:00am-3:00pm Parent Check-In and Student Life Hospitality Tent: Staff on hand for general questions (Worner Quad, near the NSO Tent) - Computer Help Available from ITS Help Desk (Tutt Library, North Basement) - CC Bookstore Open (Worner Campus Center, Lower Level) - Student Accounts Office Open (Armstrong Hall, 219)
(S+P) 10:00am-3:00pm Package Shuttle Service (Worner Campus Center, Mailroom, Lower Level)
(S+P) 10:00am-9:00pm Get Your Gold Card (Student ID) (Worner Desk)
(S+P) 11:00am-1:30pm **Lunch on Your Own**
(S+P) 2:00pm-3:00pm Dessert Reception for Transfer Students and Families (Location TBA)
(S+P) 2:00pm-3:00pm Dessert Reception for First-Generation Students and Families (Worner Campus Center, Gaylord Hall) For all who are one of the first in their families to attend a four-year college
(S+P) 3:30pm-4:00pm Welcoming Remarks from President Jill Tiefenthaler (Shove Chapel)
(S) 4:15pm-5:15pm NSO Introductory Meeting for Students (Armstrong Theatre)
(P) 4:15pm-5:15pm Parent Program: Sandra Wong, Dean of the College and Faculty - followed by “A Conversation with Faculty” (Shove Chapel)
(S+P) 5:30pm Welcome Picnic for Students and Families (NSO Tent)
(S) 9:00pm Community/Wing Meetings (Assigned Residence Halls)
(S) 10:00pm Student Social Events (Assigned Residence Halls)
Sunday, August 25
(S+P) 9:00am-1:00pm CC Bookstore Open (Worner Campus Center, Lower Level)
(S+P) 10:00am-1:00pm Package Shuttle Service (Worner Campus Center, Mailroom, Lower Level)
(S+P) 11:00am-Noon Orientation to Spiritual Life at Colorado College: Introduction to the Chaplain’s Office programs, including an opportunity to meet representatives from CC Faith Communities (Shove Chapel)
(S+P) 11:00am-1:00pm ** Lunch on Your Own **
(S+P) Noon-1:00pm Dessert Reception hosted by the Office of Minority and International Students (NSO Tent)
(S+P) Noon Campus Tours Available (Meet at front steps of Cutler Hall)
(S+P) Noon Tentative- Sustainability Tours Available (Meet on the East Side of Worner Campus Center)
(S) 1:00pm-3:00pm Priddy Experience Kick-Off Meeting for Students with Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students Mike Edmonds (Armstrong Theatre)
(P) 1:00pm-2:00pm Parent Program: Student Support Services (Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center, Celeste Theatre)
(P) 2:00pm-3:00pm Parent Program: Campus Resources (Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center, Celeste Theatre)
(P) 3:00pm-4:00pm Parent Program: Resource Fair - Have your individual questions answered by college
staff (Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center, Main Space)
(S+P) 4:00pm-5:00pm Farewell Reception for Parents (students and families welcome) (NSO Tent) This reception represents the conclusion of Parent Orientation
(S+P) 5:00pm ** Dinner on Your Own **
(S) 9:00pm Priddy Experience Meeting: Your NSO leaders will communicate locations
(S) 10:00pm Student Social Event TBA
Monday, August 26
(S) 10:00am-Noon Campus Resources Fair and CIRP Freshman Survey Rotating schedule. Your NSO leaders will communicate locations and details - Resources Fair is open to parents who may still be here (Worner Campus Center) - CIRP Survey and “Five Things you should be Prepared to Discuss with your Faculty Advisor” – Re Evitt, Associate Dean of the College (Armstrong Theatre)
(S) Noon-1:00pm Lunch (Rastall Café, Worner Campus Center)
(S) 1:00-5:30pm Your FYE mentors will guide you through this afternoon’s activities “Crossroads and Bridges and B.A.D.A.S.S.es, Oh My!” will include three rotations TBA
(S) 5:45pm Dinner (Rastall Café, Worner Campus Center)
(S) 7:00pm Priddy Experience Meeting: Your NSO leaders will communicate locations
(S) 8:30pm Ice Cream Social sponsored by QCC (Queer Community Coalition) For all LGBTQ and allies (Lennox/Glass House)
(S) 9:00pm-Midnight Game Night and Sacred Grounds: Student-run coffee house, featuring Acoustic Open Mic (poetry, music, stories) - Tea, coffee and cookies available (Shove Chapel – Main Level and Lower Level)
(S) 10:00pm-Midnight Student Social Event TBA
(S) Midnight-1:00am Midnight Breakfast (Rastall Café, Worner Campus Center) Join us for one of CC’s favorite traditions – free pancakes at midnight!
Tuesday, August 27
(S) 9:00pm-10:30am Student Panel: “How to Succeed at CC: What I Wish I Had Known” (Armstrong Theatre) Followed by Class Photos for Class of 2017, Transfer Students and Exchange Students (Steps of Palmer Hall)
(S) 10:30am-12:30pm FYE Mentor Meetings (Meet in front of Palmer Hall)
(S) 12:30pm Lunch (Rastall Café, Worner Campus Center)
(S) 1:30pm-2:30pm Capstone Lecture: Dr. Ruth Faden, Wagley Professor of Biomedical Ethics, Executive Director of Berman Bioethics Institute – Johns Hopkins University (Armstrong Theatre)
(S) 2:30pm-4:00pm FYE Class Meetings: Discussion of Capstone Address (Worner Desk has lists)
(S) 2:30pm-4:00pm Transfer and Exchange Student Session: Discussion of Capstone Address (Meeting location will be sent to your CC email address)
(S) 4:00pm-6:00pm Academic Advisor Meetings in Advisor Offices (This information will be in your nametag lanyard, Worner Campus Center Desk also has advisor lists)
(S) 5:00pm-7:00pm Dinner (Rastall Café, Worner Campus Center)
(S) 9:00pm Student Social Event TBA
Wednesday, August 28
(S) Priddy Experience Departure (Times and Locations to be set by trip leaders)
Sunday, September 1
(S) Priddy Experience Return to Campus (Times to be set by trip leaders)
(S) 8:00pm Community/Wing Meetings (Assigned Residence Halls)
Monday, September 2 (Labor Day)
(S) 9:00am Opening Convocation (Shove Chapel)
(S) 10:30am Classes Begin!
(S) 12 noon First-Day Welcome Picnic (NSO Tent)