Instructional Technologist (Languages)
What I do
- ensure that our infrastructure is anticipating and meeting the evolving needs of students for learning and faculty for teaching
- course support – I help faculty
- incorporate various technology tools into their courses to improve student learning
- develop assignments using technology and assessment mechanisms for those assignments
- provide on-campus professional development opportunities for faculty
- research technologies and practices that may be useful for teaching and learning
- develop new ways to use technology to improve student learning
- collaborate with colleagues at other institutions to develop resources for use on all campuses
Committees and Service
- Associated Colleges of the Midwest Strategic Planning Task Force on New Initiatives
- Engaged Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning Committee at Colorado College
IALLT (International Association for Language Learning Technology) Webinar Co-Coordinator
Publications and Presentations
Using an interactive whiteboard for communicative language teaching, IALLT webinar, December 2012
Teaching reading strategies to beginning Japanese language learners, November 2011 American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages, Denver, CO
Using an interactive whiteboard for communicative language teaching, workshop at SOCALLT conference, University of Colorado Boulder, April 2012
Using an interactive whiteboard for communicative language teaching, workshop at University of Colorado Boulder, October 2011
Enlivening the board: Advice on using interactive whiteboards for communicative language teaching, Language Magazine, August 2011, http://languagemagazine.com/?page_id=2708
Using an interactive whiteboard for communicative language teaching, half-day workshop presented at IALLT conference, June 2011 University of California Irvine
Using the Smartboard to Improve Kanji Instruction (presentation in Japanese), August 2010 Language and Educational Technology Society of Japan
Using the Smartboard to Improve Kanji Instruction, March 2010 Association of Teachers of Japanese
Using images for teaching in Asian Studies, June 2010 workshop at St. Olaf College
Using Research to Enable More Effective Pedagogy in the Teaching of Language and Culture, panel chair and presenter, March 2008 ASIANetwork
Using Images in Teaching Asian Studies, presentation at Teaching with Media Resources in Middle Eastern and Asian Studies conference at Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL, April 2007.
Technology for Teaching and Learning in Asian Studies, panel presentation with Dr. Phyllis Larson, Craig Rice, Dr. Cathy Benton, and Dr. John Williams, at April 2006 Asianetwork conference in Lisle, IL.
Multimedia technology for teaching and learning in Asian Studies, panel presentation with Dr. Haeng-ja Chung and Dr. Karil Kucera at April 2004 AsiaNetwork conference in Lisle, IL.
The IDEAS Project : Expanding Access to Images for Teaching in Asian Studies, poster presentation at Instructional Technologists at Liberal Arts Colleges conference at Macalester College, March 2004
Human-Computer Interaction Issues in Online Language Exercises
Poster presented at Humanities Park n Go at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, June 2002.
Instructional Technology: Enabling New Ways of Representing and Manipulating Information, presented at Colorado College, May 31, 2001.
So you want to build a multimedia software program? Some things you should know before you start, presented at May 2001 IALL conference in Houston, TX.