Replacement Policy for Lost or Damaged Material
- Lost or damaged items are the responsibility of the borrower. Costs are assessed based on current replacement prices charged by vendors of the Library's choice; however, the Library will do its best to acquire the most reasonably priced replacement.
- Borrowers will pay the actual replacement cost (cost of item plus shipping) and a $10 processing fee.
- Hard to find out-of-print items incur a default charge of $50 (or more) plus shipping costs and a $10 processing fee.
- In order to match appropriate editions, versions, and formats, the Library--not the borrower--will order replacement items.
- A replacement charge is refundable if the item is returned in good condition before a replacement copy has been ordered by the Library. Refunds will not be made for items returned after 1 year.
- Community Borrowers must pay overdue fines and a $10 processing fee when a billed item is returned.
Costs for Special Materials
Costs to replace rare lost or damaged materials or materials borrowed through Interlibrary Loan or Prospector will vary substantially. Higher--often prohibitive--replacement charges can be expected. Past replacement costs have ranged from $400 to over $1000.