Board of Trustees
February 2013 Trustee Update
The February 2013 Board of Trustees meeting began on Thursday, February 21. There were several presentations given by the president and the president's cabinet. Among many things, the president gave the board updates on our Year of Planning and the dean of students/vp for student life updated the trustees on new activities in the Career Center and the upcoming Slocum renovations.
At the business meeting, which was held on Saturday, February 23, the board also approved several key items, which include:
- The 2013-2014 budget that includes next year's tuition and fees
- The president’s tenure recommendations for Megan Anderson, Geology; Steven Hayward, English; Miro Kummel, Environmental Science; and Jane Murphy, History
- Honorary degrees
- Emerita Status to Laurel Watkins
Currently, the board is finalizing bylaw changes, and will be heavily engaged in the selection of their next chairperson. The next board meeting is May 2-4.
September 2012 Trustee Update
The Colorado College Board of Trustees arrived on campus on Thursday, September 20, and began their meeting with committee business. On Friday, trustees received an update on the strategic planning process and heard a presentation from students and faculty who completed benchmarking research over the summer. The business portion of their meeting concluded Saturday morning, September 22, with the full Board voting to approve professor emeritus status for Bob Loevy. New trustee Lynne Cheney ’63 was sworn in at this time as well.
Much of the trustees’ time on campus was devoted to participating in inaugural events including: the campus-wide community service project; a dinner with the president and special guests; the installation ceremony; and the reception, dinner, and ball following the inauguration.
July 2012 Trustee Update
The Colorado College Board of Trustees met in mid-July for a retreat, during which most of their time was spent completing visioning exercises in preparation for the upcoming year of strategic planning. In addition, they conducted a business session where the following items were approved:
- Swearing in of new trustees:
- Samantha Barlow ’13 (student trustee)
- Angela Cobian ’11 (young alumni trustee)
- Heather Carroll ’89 (alumni trustee)
- Election of new standing committee chairs and vice-chairs
- Governance – Phil Swan (chair)
- Audit - Sue Allon (chair), Bill Campbell (vice-chair)
- Investment - Eben Moulton (chair), Adam Press (vice-chair)
- Budget and Finance - Amy Louis (chair)
- Resolution charging the president to complete a strategic plan for the college during the coming year.
- Review of athletics programs (See Trustee Statement on Athletics Programs)
May 2012 Trustee Update
The Colorado College Board of Trustees kicked off their recent on-campus meeting Thursday evening, May 17, with a celebratory dinner to thank key divisional staff for their efforts in making the 2011-12 year a success. They participated in the dedication of the Richard F. Celeste Theatre on Friday, May 18. Former President Dick Celeste returned for the ceremony and lunch that followed.
Trustees interacted with faculty while on campus, learning more about the arts within the liberal arts from Professors Scott Johnson, Susan Grace, and David Mason. They also dined with CC endowed professors and listened to Professor Anne Hyde as she spoke about her Bancroft Prize-winning book, “Empires, Nations and Families: A History of the North American West, 1800-1860.”
Board members spent much of their time on campus discussing committee business, voting to approve emeritus status for Professor Peggy Berg; Samantha Barlow as the first student trustee; re-election to new four-year terms for trustees Van Skilling, Cole Wilbur, Brian Williamson, and Jack Wold; and re-election for the 2012-13 year for Board officers Sue Woolsey, chair; Bob Manning, co-vice-chair; Nancy Woodrow, co-vice-chair; and Mike Lampton, secretary. Their meeting concluded on Saturday, May 19.