It is possible that your application will or already has been selected for review in a process called “Verification.” In this process, the Financial Aid Office will be comparing information from your application with 2012 tax return information submitted to the IRS for you and your parents. The law says we have the right to ask you for this information before disbursing financial aid. If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, you or the college may need to make corrections electronically to your FAFSA.
Our office will make every effort to contact you as soon as possible to let you know that you have been selected for verification. However, we will not know whether or not you have been selected until you submit your FAFSA. Upon submitting the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). The Student Aid Report should also give you a message about being selected for verification. If selected, there are two steps to complete this verification:
|1) Submit a completed Verification Worksheet directly to the Financial Aid Office via mail, email, or fax.|
|2) Verify your 2012 income by using the Data Retrieval Tool through FAFSA or providing us with 2012 Tax Return Transcript. More information about step two can be found by opening the following document: Instructions for Tax Filers|
Please note that there are five types of Verification Worksheets available on our website and the Financial Aid Office will let the student know which one, specifically, must be submitted. Feel free to also contact us, should you have any questions.
Verification Worksheets for 2013-14 & Instructions for Tax Return Filers
- 2013-14 Aggregate Verification Worksheet
- 2013-14 Child Support Verification Worksheet
- 2013-14 Custom Verification Worksheet
- 2013-14 SNAP Verification Worksheet
- 2013-14 Standard Verification Worksheet
- 2013-14 Instructions for Tax Return Filers (Contains information regarding verification of your 2012 income tax returns using the Data Retrieval Tool through FAFSA and ordering a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS).
Contact the Financial Aid Office
- James M. Swanson, Director of Financial Aid
- Gaye L. Scheafer, Assistant Director of Financial Aid
- Elaine Redwine, Associate Director of Financial Aid
- Kathy Gonzalez, Financial Aid Counselor
- Lucie Holloway, Communication & Student Employment Coordinator
- Libby Fletcher, Financial Aid Specialist
800-260-6458 or 719-389-6651
14 E. Cache La Poudre St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Hours of operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm