Director — TRACY SANTA
The Writing Program offers both writing intensive courses and writing adjunct courses for students who wish to practice and improve their writing while doing course work within the curriculum. Both kinds of writing courses have been designed to attach special importance to writing and revision. Writing intensive courses meet one unit of the division requirement in the division in which they are offered and may, in some instances, meet major requirements as well. Writing adjunct courses are extended-format courses which may be taken concurrently with regular block courses. The writing adjuncts provide students with an opportunity to work more intensively on the writing they are doing in their regular course work.
WRITING INTENSIVE COURSES, 2012–13:
Writing intensive courses provide opportunities for students to continue to improve their writing skills through practice and criticism. The writing component of each course is related to course content and is intended to promote learning within the field as well as greater facility in writing. In some cases, the writing component may emphasize the problems of writing for a particular discipline. Writing intensive courses have limited enrollment to allow time for individual conferences, small group sessions, and detailed criticism. The 2012–13 course schedule includes the following writing intensive course offerings:
AN – ANTHROPOLOGY:
- AN242 Anthropology of Food. 1 unit.
BY – BIOLOGY:
- BY308 Advanced Ecology. 1 unit.
- BY365 Plant Physiology. 1 unit.
- BY366 Comparative Animal Physiology. 1 unit.
- BY450 Seminar in Molecular Biology. 1 unit.
EC – ECONOMICS:
- EC151 Principles of Microeconomics. 1 unit.
ED – EDUCATION:
- ED205 Education Theory into Practice. 1 unit.
EN – ENGLISH:
- EN225 Introduction to Shakespeare. 1 unit.
EV – ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE:
- EV209 Ecology and the Environment. 1 unit.
GS – GENERAL STUDIES:
- GS233 Topics in Journalism. 1 unit.
HY – HISTORY:
- HY238 Colonial Hispano-America. 1 unit.
- HY410 Senior Seminar. 1 unit.
- HY420 Senior Essay. 1 unit.
PS – POLITICAL SCIENCE:
- PS203 Topics in Politics. 1 unit.
RE – RELIGION:
- RE332 The Question of Faith. 1 unit.
SW – SOUTHWEST STUDIES:
- SW200 Topics in Southwest Studies. 1 unit.